Tuesday, September 27, 2011

HAUTE HUNTER: Divas Don't Wear Burlap....(Part 1)

 So, it's no secret that I've been M.I.A for all of August and most of September. 
Well, I wish I could say that I was busy on some kind of "Eat, Pray, Love" self-elevating sabbatical but it was more of a self-imposed hiatus. 
Honestly speaking, I have felt that talking 'fashion' was a little 'trite' in this day and age were physical suffering and social injustices are abound.    When I shared my thoughts with a dear friend, who is currently beating the pants off of stage four breast cancer, she put everything in perspective when she said to me "well, we can't go around wearing burlap , can we?".  
Her comment made me recall a line from the famous Marianne Williamson poem that states: " Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?". 
So at that moment, I decided to get moving on my latest report!   Hope that you enjoy! (P.S. Follow me on Twitter @MzHauteHunter)!

 

Of course my  decision to 'boycott' fashion couldn't have come at a worse time in the industry.... Not only did I boycott Fashion Week but I totally decided that this year's "Fashion Night Out"  would be more like "Fashion Night IN"  for me.    I guess, however, I wasn't the only one feeling both OVER- and UNDER-whelmed by the whole experience.  Apparently, certain Vogue staffers and retailers have been hinting that FNO might be a done deal moving forward due to the organizational headache and exorbitant expense  involved in producing the event.    Of course this is all speculation but trust me when I say that I, for one, can live without it in its current iteration.  

 
On a more positive note, it seems as though Marc Jacobs has officially signed on to be the lead designer/creative director of Dior replacing disgraced designer John Galliano.    Don't despair as to the vacant seat left at Louis Vuitton, as  it is speculated that Celine designer Phoebe Philo (a Kanye West favorite) will replace Jacobs there. 

Speaking of Kanye West, Kanye has confirmed reports that he will indeed launch his fashion label in the very near future.  Kanye has already tapped designer Katie Eary as his lead designer.  As Eary previously designed both menswear and womenswear, it can be safely assumed that Kanye's fashion house will cater to both genders.  I hate to admit it but I'm looking forward to seeing what Mr. West has to offer! 


In more 'hip hop goes couture' news,  Kimora Lee Simmons, ex-wife of music mogul Russell Simmons, was just been appointed as President and Creative Director of JustFabulous (JustFab.com).    Definitely can't knock Kimmy Lee's hustle!

Adding himself to the new 'Creative Director' list is makeup artist Sam Fine.  Fine was recently named Creative Director of the Fashion Fair makeup line.   In addition to joining the Fashion Fair family, Fine will also launch his own makeup collection -"Sam"-next Spring.   Well done Sam...I am definitely a fan!

Speaking of Spring launches, H&M Home is FINALLY coming to the U.S.  offering affordable and fashionable bedding, housewares, accessories, linens, and more.   I'll keep you posted!

In more current retail launch news,  I am happy to announce that my favorite discount department store- Century 21- has officially opened on NYC's upper west side at 66th St. and Broadway.    Although the downtown Manhattan store is the  chain's "crown jewel" offering a more diverse array of merchandise, I think this upper west side location may be in the running for a close second place prize.  During the VIP preview day, I spotted great prices on Dolce & Gabanna, Tom Ford, YSL, Missoni, Brioni, Pucci, Halston,  Hunter, and Manolo Blahnik!

Moving a little bit farther 'west'  than the west side of Manhattan, Topshop and Topman enjoyed their launch on Chicago's Michigan Avenue earlier this month.  The Chicago outpost is the chain's  second North American location.    I do suspect that the brand will continue to expand westward toward L.A. in the near future!

As previously reported, Zara launched its online shopping function earlier this month but did you know that right now, there is free delivery to all 50 states?  Great way to incentivize potential shoppers!

I also informed you in my last post that H&M's Fall 2011 Conscious Collection would be launching very soon.  Well, I know have a date and a sneak peek!  Check out this amazing lace sheath dress, which is just one of the many  sustainable/recycled/organic pieces that will debut at select H&M stores on October 6: 


Moving on to collaboration news, Manolo Blahnik and Mimi Plange (the Ghanaian-born designer who has taken the fashion world by storm)  have joined forces to design shoes for her Spring 2012 collection.  Check out one of the two African-inspired designs below:




In 'Hi/Lo' collaboration news, Thierry Mugler designer/Lady Gaga image-maker Nicola Formichetti has teamed up with Uniqlo to  not only become the Japanese brand's fashion director but to create a sportswear line called "The Innovation Project" with all pieces retailing for under  $200. 

And speaking of Uniqlo, don't forget that the last +J  selections were delivered to Uniqlo outposts a few weeks ago.  If you haven't gotten a chance to grab a piece from this Jil Sander/Uniqlo collaboration, this is your last chance!

On the heels of their Karl Lagerfeld joint venture, Macy's has announced that Giambattista Valli will be its next fashion house collaborator.   The Giambattista Valli/Macy's line consisting of items priced between $50 and $150 will debut on October 26. I'm hoping that the Giambattista Valli line will offer a better selection at a better price-point than the lukewarm KL collection. 

Apparently, the Rory Beca line for Forever 21 did so well that they're launching a second round with new designs.  The pieces are priced between $15.80 and $27.80 and will hit Forever 21 outposts on October 21st.   I wasn't moved by the first release but maybe I may have to take a closer look this time around.  

Lastly in the world of Hi/Lo collaborations, BAND-AID brand is creating a line of limited edition 'designer' bandages with Cynthia Rowley.   Get them now at Cynthiarowley.com or at your local drug store in December of this year.   Wow, everyone is trying to get in on this 'hi/lo' action, huh?!?   




In 'hi/lo'  'nail notes', Alexander Wang has teamed with Sally Hansen to create an exclusive line of nail polish colors.  The polish line made its debut during Wang's Spring 2012 show during fashion week and is expected to hit retail stores soon! 

In more beauty news, MAC just launched their latest foundation formula this past week.  MAC Matchmaster foundation was created to compliment MAC's  “All Ages, All Races, All Sexes” creed with a SPF15 infused  demi-matte, medium coverage formula created to moisturize, eraducate  lines, and reduce excess shine.   They may definitely be giving Armani foundation a run for their money! Check out the range of  hues below:






Lastly, for you west-coast ladies, don't miss the Fred Segal/Ron Herman blow-out sale that started this weekend and is expected to continued (with deeper discounts) throughout this week.    The sale starteed this past Friday with merchandise reduced by 50%.  This week, the merchandise is slated to be reduced to 66% off and whatever is left by next week will be reduced to 75% off.  THIS IS A NO BRAINER LADIES!!!   MZ MLH, MZ FA, MZ SI, hit me up and let me know if bargins are  actually as good as it sound!

Now, in the spirit of looking 'fashion fly' on a 'burlap dime', let's look at some hi/lo comps:

Asos $155
Alexander Wang $650



Tory Burch $1295

Forever 21 $49.50








Moschino $730

Forever21 $37.80


Hi/Lo Comps Continued in "Divas Don't Wear Burlap Part 2".....

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Haute Hunter Presents...Le Chic Urbain. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig